Exhibition - December 31, 2011 - February 7, 2012 • Midland Arts and Antiques Market, Indianapolis

Friday, November 4, 2011

Mike- Post VII




















Not there Remember the character, George Bailey, in the Frank Capra film, “It’s a Wonderful Life”?  George gets the chance that many of us don’t get to see what our lives would be like and how others would be like if we were not there.  But what do you do with the knowledge of knowing that something “was” there but is “not there” any longer?  And what does it mean to be “not there?”  If you remember something that “was” there that no longer “is not,” does that mean it is “still there?”  I want people to stop and think beyond the literal when they see my photographs to imagine or remember what used to be but is not there now.  With each passing day, we chip away at the canvas of time and place and people and layer after layer is not there the next day, replaced by some thing or someone else.  I believe time is dynamic and dimensional and that to look at my photographs is to take a step back into time with me to enjoy the memories I have of a precious small town that is now not there.